Life poses many choices, and purpose always shows up as tall, handsome brothers that don’t really fit. When David does show up, you recognize the King (1 Sam 16:8-13). Clarity comes when you see the real thing. You’ll know it when you see it. Here are ten things to look for in your purpose.
- It thrills your heart – Your baby will leap when you first meet your purpose. Purpose is a dating relationship that carries the spark of a potential marriage. It grows over time until you reach the 10th point below and can say, “I was born for this!”
- It’s practical – Yes, it is a dream that may be presently out-of-reach, but you can imagine all the practical ways to get there. It should be a stretch that requires God’s help, but there is also an assurance that this dream will come true.
- The cash flow works! – This isn’t one of those dream schemes funded with “Other people’s money.” Your purpose has a component of creating value for others they are grateful for, and gladly willing to pay for (or invest in). More at Scaling Up to a Wealth mentality. What thrills your heart is getting people results that facilitate their dream, not just satisfying your own soulish ego needs. You will still have ego needs; Father just upgrades them to the desires in His heart. You will be zealous (Ps. 69:9, Jn. 2:17). Purpose is what moves you into sonship where you and Father have the same heart!
- Life is simpler – when activities and spending are based on the intentional direction of your purpose and not the whims of the moment.
- It’s prophetically Correct – You get the sense that what is on your heart is also on your Father’s heart. There are confirmations along the way.
- Other people resonate with it – your purpose fits you like a glove, and other people can see the “fit.” You’ll get confirmations that are both practical and prophetic.
- It grows in your heart – As time goes by, the wrong thing fades, and the real thing grows. Time itself is one of the most significant confirmations. Your purpose is something you’ll give your life to and never run out of gas.
- Purpose leads – When you are thinking and acting in your purpose, it draws those you are called to serve. You won’t need to push or hype manipulative marketing techniques. Acting in your purpose speaks for itself; you can be authentically yourself!
- Your prayer life will be simpler – Father is all about His will for your life and others coming to fruition (Matt. 6:10) on earth as it is in heaven. No more need for begging and whining – you will see purpose in heaven first and decree on earth with the authority of a son; co-laboring with the Father and others on earth to bring yours and their purposes into reality (Intentional Reformation).
- When you do it – the final confirmation comes when you put your hand to the plow. Your purpose will bear fruit (it will also draw warfare, but you can discern the difference). There is an anointing on purpose that gets results. You can feel it, and others can see it. At some point, your heart will admit, “I was born for this.” Your dream will carry you through thrilling successes and tumultuous warfare. Neither will derail your direction.
Wisdom has a lot to say about purpose:
- Realize your purpose evolves over time. It will get tweaked.
- The game plan to reach your purpose is constantly changing! Learn to land on your feet on avoid internalizing delays and defeats (victim mentality is an enemy – it’s not about you/me)
- There is more than one way to achieve your purpose (give yourself permission to be creative when you run into closed doors)
- You will be tested, whether you have purpose or not. But if your intention is clear, and you carry it, it will carry you through the valleys because Father is carrying it with you.
- God and wisdom adjust all of us along the way (Mid-course corrections)
Next Steps – We released a brand-new short course, The How to Nail Your Purpose Field Guide. There are three modules: creative exercises, short video tutorials; it is an investment in your dream (for $47). It’s a great value that will clarify your future and help you take steps toward it; a lifetime of clarity and connection.
“So you can say, “I was born for this _____________.”
For you – Getting connected with the purpose God wrote in your heart is what unlocks the lion it takes to make your dream come true.
For your Tribe – Guiding your small group, a tribe of friends, employees, or coworkers to their purpose is a key that liberates the motivation God wired into their heart and the fruit waiting in their land. They will love you for it.
Ps 139:15-16 – My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. NIV
Jer. 29:11-14 – For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back… NIV
Eph. 1:11 – In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will NKJV
Rom. 8:28-30 – And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. NKJV