Tele-Seminar – Beverly Lewis and I will be discussing Kingdom impacts in an interview, “Have fun make money and love people.” Listen to the recorded version here.
Results oriented – I was raised on a ranch in Montana where we learned how to get things done. From there I spent a career in engineering where the focus was on cost, scope and schedule. I measured my own self worth and that of others by the ability to get results. Then, as a pastor, the incentive to get results was even higher, “for the sake of the Kingdom.” Somewhere along the line I realized that getting results always involves getting help from other people and that the best way to get results is to love and encourage those same people.
Loving people isn’t just slobbering affection upon them. I think that it means taking the time to find out what’s in their heart and seeing if I can help them connect with a path to their own dream. As a pastor and an engineering manager, I was prone to assume that I knew what results we all wanted. There are times when we all do want the same things and we’re all willing to work together to get the results we seek. However, I no longer take it for granted that anyone else is excited about my dream. There is some level of self-centered arrogance when I just assume my vision is worth your time and money with no awareness that God has also given you dreams that are equally important.
I do know one thing: God has written something on your heart. If I can help you touch that desire, you will find motivation for something in which you excel by your personality, values, passion, education and your life’s experience. When we encourage one another, we are simply acknowledging that God has something special for each of us and it’s worth our time to find out what it is.
Appreciating people – I just finished The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace. I’m convinced that the best way to get results is to tap the call (the desire in our hearts) and to encourage one another to pursue that dream. Here are five ways to love and encourage one another at that level. The book is a great read.
1. Words of affirmation – When we understand the dream in another person’s heart, it’s much easier to esteem them and to place a value on why they are here. With that understanding, we can prophetically pull them into their dream by affirming that direction, praising their progress, and valuing their role. Our words can have great power in encouraging others when we take the time to understand their direction.
2. Quality Time – No one wants to be taken for granted. The Lord recently spoke a phrase into my mind, “Your dream is worth some one-on-one face time.” Taking the time to understand another person’s dream blesses them in a way that is motivating and contagious. For some, quality time can be talking and sharing. For men, it’s often doing something together. The conversation is woven into an activity that we both enjoy.
3. Acts of Service – We all need the support of other people to reach our dreams. The most valuable service that we can offer to someone is progress toward their dream. We may have an idea, a contact, or a resource that would help a brother or sister make that dream come true. That’s huge. “What’s your dream?” and “How can I help you take the next step?”
4. Tangible Gifts – It really is more blessed to give. Giving people something that they value lets them know that we are thinking about them and that we treasure them. Knowing someone well enough to know what gift to give communicates more than the gift itself. We can surprise one another with love.
5. Physical touch – There can be a real spiritual impartation when we touch people. A simple handshake, a touch on the shoulder, or a hug at the right moment for the right reason has a powerful impact that can communicate everything from God’s love to healing. Greeting people with a heartfelt handshake, a sincere look and saying their name out loud is always a great first impression.
Getting results – Paying the bills every month and achieving your destiny still implies the ability to get some results. The fun part of this whole process is that we are all designed to get those results. We can actually enjoy the process when we get our focus off the results and onto the dream. No one is good at taking orders. Everyone is good at pursuing the desires of their heart. That’s what “putting the Kingdom first” is all about.
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt 6:28-34 NIV
Coaching – Connecting the dots between our dream, ministry, vocation, and our bills is the practical challenge of Releasing Kings. I’m not minimizing the degree of difficulty – few find it! Getting into heaven just takes a prayer and faith. Getting into abundant life is a process that costs a little more.
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matt 7:14 NIV
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10 NIV
We’ve developed an 8 step process (coaching module) that you can download for free and self-help your way through your own heart’s desires. If you’re interested in coaching, we have some suggestions on our interviewing Kings page. My personal experience is that our purpose and dream are worth some face time with someone who can help and who cares – a coach or a mentor. Go for it!
PS: You may also enjoy the video version of this newsletter.
John and Sue
Newsletter – If your newsletter comes incomplete (filtered), you can always catch the latest version in our archive along with 200 others. 2000 people from around the world get Kingly encouragement from our weekly newsletter. Invite a friend to subscribe – they will be blessed.
How to Start a Small Group – Kings are increasingly getting involved in Bible study or mentoring groups to facilitate their “Release.” Here are some helpful suggestions www.Releasing-Kings.com/Starting-a-Group.html. We’ve also updated our Vision Brochure with graphics to show how to become a King and how you can help Release Kings. Lastly we’ve created a guideline to help you take your dream to the next level by considering the elements of a business plan. See Write Your Business Plan and a Free Management Library for many other helpful resources.
French Translation – Releasing Kings is now available in French thanks to the efforts of Cees Bakker and Support Ministries in the Netherlands. In France, copies can be obtained from Editions Menor or Librairie Chretienne CLC. The Title in French is “Libération des Rois pour le ministère dans le monde du travail”. Cees is also the guy who made the Dutch translation possible – available through his website. He can be contacted for Releasing Kings conferences in France and throughout Europe.
Other language websites –
Face Book – I’m posting more information on Face book at http://www.facebook.com/john.garfield1
PS: I want to recommend some follow-up reading.
Who is God by Harold Eberle provides the best explanation of a more relational view of God. It’s must reading that connects our perception of God with everyday life.
Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace takes that foundation into marketplace ministry and the entrepreneurial nature of Kings. Fruit in the marketplace naturally springs out of sound doctrine.
Desire to Destiny – Takes the foundation and marketplace ministry and puts them in the context of seven practical keys or stages of growth you can apply in your own life.
You’re invited into the vision to release Kings; communicate the message, make the money, and do the mission.
- The Message – Our first goal is to get the Releasing Kings message into the hands of the messengers that will carry it… do it, preach it, teach it, example it.
- The Money – The second goal is to help Kings break out of poverty by networking them with practical opportunities to prosper. We want to introduce them to the right people, the right opportunity, and the right financial approach.
- The Mission – Network Kings with opportunities to mix business and missions. Accomplish the great commission through the marketplace and occupy the Seven mountains of: business, media, arts & entertainment, education, family and government in addition to the church. See video #1 and video #2