How you can break a poverty mindset
February 05, 2006
How to Break Poverty
Last week we emphasized an interview with Reagan Couch. We’re continuing with a several more “Mighty Men” and the themes God has given them. This week you’re invited to read our interview with Lucas and Kirsta Vos. These two delightful believers live in
Arnhem, Netherlands and I met them on our two ministry trips there. Lucas just passed his 30th birthday and Krista is going to have their second child in a few more months. Both have a Bible College background and hearts for people ministry. The interview tells more about them so in this newsletter I’m going to share the Kingly message I believe they are living.
Giving and Receiving
– As a pastor I was blessed to have a church full of people that tithed. We bought and paid for a building that seated 200 people in 5 years, supported missions, and paid staff counselors. I prided myself in encouraging people to be generous. Nothing wrong with all of that except that I never taught people how to make money… a clear promise in scripture – especially for kings. We must also think of it as a covenant promise; part of what Jesus provided via the cross.
But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day. Deut 8:18 KJV
Isaac planted crops in that land and the same year reaped a hundredfold, because the LORD blessed him. 13 The man became rich, and his wealth continued to grow until he became very wealthy. 14 He had so many flocks and herds and servants that the Philistines envied him. Gen 26:12-14
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich. 2 Cor 8:8-9
Poverty causes money to flee
– During my pastoral days, when it was time to take the offering my favorite verse was “give and it shall be given to you.” (Lu 6:38) The implication is that if you want God to bless you financially you should put your money in the offering. Here’s what I’ve learned since. Poverty is a spirit or mentality that causes money to leave people. Many Christians are uncomfortable allowing any money to accumulate in their possession. They believe if money does come their way that it’s spiritual to give it away; believing that God will give it back. “You can’t out give God” you know (not in the Bible). What was absent in my church instruction was how to multiply finances. I taught people to give, I taught people to save, budget, and how to be good stewards. But, I had no message that taught them how to multiply finances. In fact, I unknowingly kept them in poverty.
An anointing to Multiply
– I believe in anointing. It’s been a blessing to see the anointing for healing on God’s people increase over the years. We used to pray for people; nothing happened and we weren’t surprised. Now It seems the Lord touches every one that receives prayer in some way. The same is true for prophecy. Several decades ago it was just for prophets. Now most of God’s people can receive words and share them with great effect. I see the same thing happening with finances. God is opening a door to multiply finances. There is an anointing to do it and the truth that sets people free is that it’s OK to multiply finances. In fact, it’s part of the ministry package necessary to reach the world. You see money can be converted to ministry! Pretty amazing, huh?
Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. 2 Cor 9:10-1
And Here’s how
– What do businessmen know that most of God’s people miss? Money is multiplied by investing it. Notice the promise above to increase your store of seed. Many Christians give away their seed and have nothing to plant so that it can multiply. Every believer needs financial seed to sow and a plan to multiply finances.
What happens when you give all your money away expecting God to multiply it back miraculously? Nothing, except you’re broke. Remember – that’s the definition of a poverty mentality. All the money goes away. TV preachers are an exception to this. No matter how much they give, the people watching send more. My suggestion is that you invest your money… at least until you get your own TV show.
Jacob and God had a covenant for giving. Jacob didn’t just give God a tenth of everything he had. He vowed he would give a tenth of the increase that God have him. For every $100,000 Jacob gave, he kept $900,000. That strikes me as good deal for everybody. In the new covenant we’re not limited to 10%. We can be prosperous enough to live well on 10% and give 90%.
Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s house, then the LORD will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.” Gen 28:20-22 NIV
Back to our example (Lucas’ Interview) – Lucas has a big heart for ministry and a big vision to impact the Kingdom of God and the Church. He’s busy buying and selling real estate in Romania. Want to know his annual Rate of Return? 380%. That compares to the 4% we all get in our savings account. People in poverty are deathly afraid of losing their money so they invest in something safe that returns 10-15%. That’s not exactly the 100-fold return Isaac got is it? God showed Isaac how to multiply his finances and his return was 10,000% in one year. That’s multiplication. We live in an hour when God is opening a door in the Spirit to multiply finances. Kings are walking through that door, multiplying finances, and turning money into ministry. Mike Nelson and Dan Griffin are two more great examples.
Want to multiply your talent instead of burying it? One of your options to contact Lucas, Mike, or Dan. They all share a vision to help other Christians move from poverty to multiplication to ministry and they’re already doing it themselves. Next week we’ll share Duane Smith’s story. He’s a real estate agent that decided to host a pastor’s conference and an evangelistic crusade in India. He’s the Billy Graham and the the attendance they expect is 6000… you can do it too!
Life is an adventure. People are a blessing. God is amazing. We’re winning.
John & Harold
– Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate theological basis for Marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
4 No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. 5 As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.
– The Last trip to the Netherlands was a real eye-opener! I greatly underestimated the value of our book, the impact of the message on individual lives, and the value of live conferences. I witnessed the power of God being unleashed in the hearts of men and women by simply explaining the theology and experience behind releasing their heart’s desire to expand the Kingdom. Seeing the lights come up in the hearts of God’s people feels like sponsoring a jailbreak. One of my goals is to equip others to help us share the message in conference formats before we get overwhelmed with the momentum of what God is about to do. If your church or organization is ready, we can help you start a fire… a big one!
Send us your feedback!
We get blessed by your emails at “You Wrote Back“
Newsletters associated with chapter 12 relate to this week’s theme
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html
You can get your copy of Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace at