To JOB or not to JOB – Thats the Question
July 09, 2006
To JOB or not to JOB
That’s the Question
Working for Wages
– The thesis of our book is that it’s spiritual and healthy to be entrepreneurial. That’s the track God puts us on to multiply finances and ministry. Having a good education and a job is a practical foundation to do anything else. You have to work for good and bad bosses to really understand what good leadership is. I also think that some people find work they really enjoy and have no desire to do anything else. However your finances and your ministry cannot multiply in the marketplace by just “adding” a weekly paycheck to your portfolio… doesn’t matter what your salary is.
Right now God is speaking to many of His people about taking a step toward their destiny. Instead of be faithful in that which is another man’s these folks are being called to inherit that which is there own.
And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man’s , who shall give you that which is your own? Luke 16:12 KJV
A personal touch
– I exchanged emails on this topic with a good friend. I’ve changed his name to Christian and the name of his employer to “Rube Goldberg Engineering” to protect the innocent. You’ll enjoy peeking over our shoulder and you’ll see the message is for you as well right now.
I was minding my own business, praying for a few Kings, dancing around the fire, and this golden calf jumps out… so I though I would share it with you. Of course all of my prophetic offerings are fully refundable, returnable, and discardable… under the “shoes fits” policy. So, here you go:
Working for Goldberg Engineering is tantamount to selling your soul. Your heart is quietly, or not so quietly, rebelling against the status quo. I saw three doors (like a game show with the Lord as host). He spoke to me to tell you that door #3 was the one to choose and I wondered how I could communicate that without sounding like one of those overly-prophetic people that nobody quite takes seriously (one of my personal fears – sorry). Anyway, the first door was 30; the second 60, and the third was 100 fold. You’re entering a season where the Lord is inviting you into your personal inheritance. Pick a door… any door would be better for your heart than door # 0 (Goldberg Engineering). Christian, you’re a personal treasure to the Lord that He found hidden; he sold all with great joy to purchase – not just the treasure but the whole field. He’s going to convince your of your great value to Himself and to others and gradually wean you away from what you thought was the “safe and sane” course to one that is much more safe and much more sane because it will release your heart to be what you really are. When that 3rd door opens you’ll feel like you’re falling through the closet into Narnia and your life will take on the level of adventure and satisfaction it was designed for from the foundations. The best part is that Lord is going to take you through this process at a speed that won’t scare you or cause you to say “no thanks.” Your present discomfort is simply the sound of the Lord knocking on your door. It’s your third door – the one that will release your most excellent adventure. You are a pearl of great price; the Lord is rejoicing over His creation; admiring His work; saying you’re His son; a special thrill to His own heart. He wants to unveil you and show you off. It’s time to say “Yes, Lord” and let the door swing open. That’s the burden of the Lord’s intercession for you in this hour. Give the Lord permission to do His part and give your heart permission to its part.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, Eph 3:20 NIV
– John, I want to thank you for this. I know you well enough to know that you wouldn’t make this up, that it’s not a bit of cheese or steak which you consumed the night before and gave you bad dreams. This is real. I know it’s real. It’s in line with what everybody (including me) says about me…well, almost everybody. Mrs. Christian is not too keen on change right now, but that’s because she takes care of the bills.
What I don’t know is how, or what, or when, or where, or…. I don’t have a clue what to do, how to pursue this. I know all about pray and seek, seek and pray. What I want is some stones upturned, some doors opened, and others closed. I want stuff to happen – God’s stuff. God’s way. It must be real, because I’m scared.
– My main burden was to pray for you. It’s important to start watching for opportunities, because God really is going to give you 3. Give yourself permission to help create them instead of relying too much on God’s sovereignty. He values your thirst and your initiative.
Get the Picture?
– Kings are being called to their version of “Full-time Ministry.” Their entrepreneurial endeavors will both fulfill their heart and fund their ministry in the marketplace. It’s really the way God has always accomplished His ministry to the World. Jump in! You’ve greatly underestimated the degree to which God wants make His covenant promise real in your life.
Gen 12:2-3 NIV
2 “I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you;
I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”
Life is an adventure. People are a blessing. God is amazing. We’re winning.
John & Harold (are dancing – Join us)
New Book – Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate a theological basis for marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. Isa 62:4-5
You can get your copy of Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace at