What’s My Passion
December 17, 2006
Conferences – Two conferences are coming up next month – You’re Invited
What’s My Passion?
Last week, after a class, a really nice lady was convinced for the first time that God was interested in granting her the desires of her heart. She was a little frustrated because she really didn’t have a passion she could point to. I suggested she read Releasing Kings. It dawned on me that there is quite a large group that are mature enough not to ask God for the wrong things – most of us have enough dead works under our belts that we’ve got the cure (don’t consume prayer on our carnal appetites). However, many Christians do not have a clear grasp on the specifics of their destiny… So here are a few thoughts on how you can find the passion that will motivate your vocation, your ministry, and land you on your destiny.
Glad You Asked
– “What’s my passion?” is a great place to start. You’re already farther than you think. Lot’s of believers live their entire lives according to religious principles that never really touch their hearts. It’s no fun. Coaching from a host of self-help guru’s is also popular in the business world right now – it’s called success coaching. It’s mostly great stuff and it borrows heavily from Biblical principles. However, it’s still rooted in self motivation. It works (from the head) but Christians have something that works better – from the heart “and” some power to go with it – The Holy Spirit!
Finding the passion or the desire of your heart that is also rooted in God’s heart is the real home run. God promises to do it – But, like all redemptive promises we play a role in cooperating with Him to receive the deposit in our hearts. Listen to the covenant.
This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. 11 No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. Heb 8:10-11 (see also Heb 10:16 and Jer 31:33-34)
Introspection is the second fastest way to find your heart’s desire. The fastest way is getting to know Jesus at the next level. There are four “ask whatever” promises in John that I like to quote – each contains a key to finding the desire of your heart so you can ask out of your own passion.
1. What’s the Father Up To?
– The most fun you can have on this planet is to catch the wind of the Holy Spirit and do what the Father is doing. For example, I didn’t invent Releasing Kings. It’s something that God is doing throughout the earth. It’s become the passion of my heart and these conferences are a total hoot. God has something equally exciting for all of us.
I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:12-14 NIV
Here’s how it works – I’m having fun and if I run short of “anything” inside the desires of my heart I just ask for it. It’s God’s nature to overflow our cup… and you can ask whatever!
2. Hang Around God
– Spend time in prayer simply talking to God. Allow the Holy Spirit to quicken scriptures to you as you read. When you get an idea meditate on it and let your dream unfold into a plan you can work. Realize that you’re important to God and His heart longs to spend time with your heart. That’s when the transfer takes place and the creativity begins… and you can ask whatever!
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:7-8 NIV
3. Friends Know
– Jesus promised to let us in on everything. When you get to see Heaven’s storehouse and the smorgasbord of possibilities, your heart will naturally gravitate toward a passion that lines up your history, talents, vocation and gifts in a seamless purpose that gives your life “mission.”… and you can ask whatever!
4. Complete Joy
– When you tap your true passion and experience the wind of God in your sails it’s pure joy. Nothing describes the exhilaration of co-laboring with God to create something new or do the impossible. Yet that’s exactly what is waiting for you and I. …and you can ask whatever!
…no one will take away your joy. 23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:22-24 NIV
Every few days my heart leaps and I give it permission to jump and shout Yippee!
– make a list of the top 3 things that keep you from your heart’s desire. Now lay that list at the foot of the cross in prayer. You could even ask the Lord to help overcome doubt.
“‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.” Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:23-24 NIV
For each item on the list make a second list of 10 ways you can overcome each one… ask the Lord if he has any better ideas to add to the list. Then ask him for the power to implement the best ideas that take you into your passion… whatever it is. You can change the perception that “you can’t” by changing your expectations for the future. It’s called hope and faith and its fleshed out with a practical plan and some goals.
Life is an adventure. People are a blessing. God is amazing. We’re winning.
John & Harold
– Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate a theological basis for Marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. Isa 62:4-5
– The Last trip to the Netherlands was a real eye-opener! I greatly underestimated the value of our book, the impact of the message on individual lives, and the value of live conferences. I witnessed the power of God being unleashed in the hearts of men and women by simply explaining the theology and experience behind releasing their heart’s desire to expand the Kingdom. Seeing the lights come up in the hearts of God’s people feels like sponsoring a jailbreak. One of my goals is to equip others to help us share the message in conference formats before we get overwhelmed with the momentum of what God is about to do. If your church or organization is ready, we can help you start a fire… a big one!
Send us your feedback!
We get blessed by your emails at “You Wrote Back“
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html