How Do We Start a Marketplace Ministry?
April 23, 2006
How Do I Start a Marketplace Ministry?
“Dear John, Greetings. I am a Zambian Pastor. I want to start a Marketplace Ministry. How do we do that?”
I want to answer that question for pastors and individuals that are drawn toward what God is doing through Kings right now. The answer comes in several parts. The first is how to impart the information; e.g. What can a pastor do for his congregation to awaken their hearts to ministry in the Marketplace. The second part is how to help them transition from a pew-only ministry to being a prosperous King with a vision and the means to expand the Kingdom. The third deals with encouraging them through the warfare to a place of victory. Don’t forget all of these principles apply to women as well. God is opening many doors in the marketplace for women.
1. Awakening hearts with the Message of releasing Kings
– I think the easiest way to get started is to go through the material in the book to provide a Biblical basis for being entrepreneurial, prosperous and generous. We try to provide an overview in our conferences.
*Sharing the material
– You can provide copies of Releasing Kings and teach your way through the chapters. One of the easiest ways is to make the book available. As a pastor, I preached most topics in our book on Sunday mornings.
– We do have a teaching guide that can be downloaded from the web as a PDF file. It contains the graphic we use in the book and in our conferences – see http://www.releasing-kings.com/Teachers-Guide.html
– In addition, there are 70+ newsletters with additional material indexed to chapters in the book at http://releasing-kings.com/Newsletter-Index.html. We expand a related topic every week.
– That same site also has notes from a conference we did in the Netherlands that might be helpful. We also do conferences on marketplace ministry. It’s a great way to launch interest in a group of people.
– We have a recommendations page that refers to five of Harold’s books that relate to part 2. I strongly believe that having the right theological foundation helps people naturally become “Kingly.” The person who teaches the material should read these books. It’s a really good foundation for Kings that would enable them to teach the conference notes (or their own). I think it’s wise to keep the number of session under 10-12 sessions. The other books are all around $12 and can be ordered from our recommendations page.
Book Chapter Sessions Related Reading
1-6 Kings/Priests 1-2 Releasing Kings (for all sessions)
7 the nature of God 1 Who is God (PDF from web)
8 Nature of Man 1 Precious in His Sight, Escaping Dualism
The future 1 Bring the Future into Focus
10-17 attributes 2-3 Releasing Kings
18-25 2 Releasing Kings
2. Encourage people to be Kingly
– The process must be both “taught” and “caught.” It has a theological foundation and a practical application. Often times people see themselves in the example of another businessman, elected official, or artist that models something God is asking them to do. We’ve used interviews with established Kings to provide some of that at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. However, a personal relationship that includes mentoring from someone locally is ideal.
Marketplace Ministry is all about finding the connection between the person’s ministry and vocation. What are they wired to do? We can help people down that road in several ways; prophetically, through counseling, and by connecting them with an obvious mentor in the field of their choice. God will already have motivated them to move toward their calling. Kings are energized by finding themselves and catching a vision to do something for God in the marketplace.
The second is, “What’s their passion?” If money were available, how would they use it to expand the Kingdom? Being a King includes wealth (I will bless you) and notoriety (I will make your name great) and using that power and influence to “bless the nations.” As God’s favor increases, so does the burden to bring others up to the same level.
“I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Gen 12:2-3
3. After They’ve Started
– People that take the challenge to inherit the land of their personal destiny are not necessarily prepared for the steady stream of challenges and warfare that go with doing something for God. Setbacks are a normal part of any business/ministry. We have to focus 80% our faith and our results on the favor of God and the breakthroughs He brings. However, we’re not ignoring the 20% of the price in travail and problems to achieve those results.
Spiritual Cheering Section
– Marketplace Ministers need a network of prayer support and garden variety encouragement from their peers and pastors. They need a cheering section that embraces their vision.
Plans and goals
– Every Marketplace Ministry needs a business plan that maps out dreams and goals on a time table and budget that can be updated as time goes on. Too often people get a partial leading from God and move without practical wisdom of how to manage the staff, pay the bills, and identify the first priority.
Showcase the fruit
– When Kings have success celebrate with them. It’s a great opportunity to show others the power and provision of God. Testimonies encourage everyone. Marketplace ministry is very contagious. A few examples of Kings having fun and everyone will want to get out in the water.
Note: If you have a story of how you’re Releasing Kings through your church or group, send me an email. I’d love to hear about it and share it with others.
John & Harold
– Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate a theological basis for Marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. Isa 62:4-5
– The Last trip to the Netherlands was a real eye-opener! I greatly underestimated the value of our book, the impact of the message on individual lives, and the value of live conferences. I witnessed the power of God being unleashed in the hearts of men and women by simply explaining the theology and experience behind releasing their heart’s desire to expand the Kingdom. Seeing the lights come up in the hearts of God’s people feels like sponsoring a jailbreak. One of my goals is to equip others to help us share the message in conference formats before we get overwhelmed with the momentum of what God is about to do. If your church or organization is ready, we can help you start a fire… a big one!
Send us your feedback!
We get blessed by your emails at “You Wrote Back“
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html
You can get your copy of Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace at