Learning to Receive
May 14, 2006
Learning to Receive
One of my greatest delights is to meet Kings, see what makes them tick, and get a glimpse of the fruit in their lives. Here’s a couple of examples:
– I mentioned Duane’s trip to India last week. This week he received a letter from Anil, the host pastor. It’s worth reading to get a glimpse of the impact of the conference, healings, and salvations on that community in India. Duane is a great example of many in the marketplace. He is capable of ministry… crusades and pastor’s conferences. When we had lunch earlier in the week, he is already praying about doing something similar in the Philippines this fall. If you would like to learn how, feel free to contact him about becoming part of the trip. Harold is doing the same thing in Africa via Bible Colleges and orphanages.
Bob & Margie
– I also put up a new page telling Bob McDaniel’s story. He recently retired from an accounting practice and decided to move to Guatemala to help his son start an orphanage called the Great Commission Children’s Home. His crossover talents in finance, organization, and His heart for revival will bear great fruit. One more example of God moving people from the pew to the field.
The Price Tag
– Duane’s decision implicated 10-25K, about half of which he financed. Bob’s decision involved rechanneling his entire retirement account. Yet they will not be left penniless and both will be involved in expanding the kingdom in new ventures in the future. Most of us would look at a $10,000 entry fee and rule it out. How do they do it? It’s surprisingly simple and it’s something God has for you as well. They multiply their seed.
The Wrong Way
– Most of us have read Lu 6:38 and heard many admonitions to be generous during the offering part of our church services.
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38 NIV
What we heard goes something like this, “I don’t have any extra money but if I give what I do have sacrificially, the Lord will multiply it back somehow in the future.” Sometimes it’s called seed faith, giving the widow’s mite, etc. The result is that people living in poverty are taught to give away their cash and stay in poverty. Most people can’t live their entire lives under that level of financial pressure – postponing the bills until the next paycheck. Those that do are either spiritually oppressed or smugly self righteous about their poverty. I want to suggest the Lord has a better way that is more Biblical.
Learning to Receive
– Here is reality – people that are constantly broke can empty their wallets in the offering plate, but they will never come up with $10K to go to India or start an orphanage. They haven’t learned to receive at that level yet. Here is the simple principle businessmen already understand that we have missed, “give out of your plenty instead of your poverty.”
At the present time your plenty will supply what they need 2 Cor 8:14 NIV
Your abundance (being a supply) at this present time for their want 2 Cor 8:14 ASV
Right now you have plenty and can help them 2 Cor 8:14 TLB
Manage your Seed
– In America, we all have some money. Like the parable of the talents we choose what to do with our seed. Please don’t hear this as pitch to start a saving program – I’m talking about how you spend it. I want you to start a multiplying program. See if you can turn your seed (or talent) into multiples of the original amount (2X, 5X, 10X, etc.). God’s promise is that you will be made rich in every way (first) so that you can be generous on every occasional trip to India – get it? Give out of plenty = your store of seed. If you’re not multiplying your store of seed you’re never going to India. You just won’t have the cash flow.
Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. 2 Cor 9:10-11 NIV
We’ve somehow got it in our heads that to be generous we have to give enough to stay in poverty. It’s a lie! The exact opposite is true. You can’t effectively be generous unless you’ve learned how to “receive” some level of wealth and continually increase your store of seed.
– If you’ve been steeped in a poverty theology, you’ll be feeling guilty even at the thought of wealth. God wants to bless you for no other reason than He loves his kids! You have to believe that first. The second reason is that God has a heart for the oppressed. He wants you positioned to free others from the stronghold of poverty so they can experience abundant life as well. For the sake of God’s purposes, “I commit myself to multiplying my talents and having enough wealth to be generous.”
For the sake of the house of the LORD our God, I will seek your prosperity. Ps 122:9 NIV
Blessed are all who fear the LORD, who walk in his ways. 2 You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours. 3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots
around your table. 4 Thus is the man blessed who fears the LORD. 5 May the LORD bless you from Zion all the days of your life; may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem, 6 and may you live to see your children’s children. Ps 128 NIV
– Did you notice the connection between “labor, blessings, and prosperity”? You can’t realistically just empty your wallet and expect money to show up in the mailbox. That works for TV preachers, but not for you. You have to work at multiplying your talents with a very intentional plan coupled with an anointing from the Holy Spirit. Releasing Kings does a great job of laying the foundation for that mentality.
Right now the Lord is teaching Christians how to receive an anointing to multiply. It’s like being on a new frontier. Yes, there is risk. But, there is also the promise of God’s favor on those willing to possess this new land.
– Duane came home with a commitment to support an orphanage Anil started and to support pastors ministering in poverty-stricken portions of rural India. Let’s suppose I want to help out of my abundance instead of my poverty. Here’s what it might look like. To help support Duane, I’ll buy a share in an oil well from Mike Nelson, another King. Let’s assume I invest $10,000 and it has a 2 year payback ($5K/yr with a life of 20 years). When the well comes in several months after my investment I will donate it to Duane’s mission in India so that the annual income (5K/yr or 400/month) goes to support pastors. The value of my gift is $100,000 over the 20 years. I get to deduct about 60% of that in the year of my gift. If my tax rate is 25% I’ll save something like 15K in taxes for the cost of my 10k. Get it? In one year I decide give 5000 a year to pastors for 20 years and I made $5K doing it. Did that hurt? Nope, in fact it was so much fun, I think I’ll make a lifestyle out of it.
– A 2 year payback is 50% interest. Mike just wrote to correct his estimate for another rig building investment from 40% to 69%. Most of his investors are Kings. He is one of an army of Kings God is raising up in this hour to do great exploits for the Lord. Their level of creativity and innovation is multiplying the Kingdom. You’re called to be part of that exciting process too. Harold and I are called to help you get there. Money can be converted to ministry and banked in your account in Heaven.
not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16 for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. 17 Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. Phil 4:15-17 NIV
Life is an adventure. People are a blessing. God is amazing. We’re winning.
John & Harold
– Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate a theological basis for Marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. Isa 62:4-5
– The Last trip to the Netherlands was a real eye-opener! I greatly underestimated the value of our book, the impact of the message on individual lives, and the value of live conferences. I witnessed the power of God being unleashed in the hearts of men and women by simply explaining the theology and experience behind releasing their heart’s desire to expand the Kingdom. Seeing the lights come up in the hearts of God’s people feels like sponsoring a jailbreak. One of my goals is to equip others to help us share the message in conference formats before we get overwhelmed with the momentum of what God is about to do. If your church or organization is ready, we can help you start a fire… a big one!
Send us your feedback!
We get blessed by your emails at “You Wrote Back“
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html
You can get your copy of Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace at