Kings, Discipleship and China
September 18, 2005
Kings, Discipleship and China
Releasing Kings contains a prophetic message that is still be worked out in our hearts and lives. It’s always fun to see examples of God using Christian entrepreneurs to expand the Kingdom and fulfill the great commission. Let me tell you what happened.
I’ve been Interviewing Kings and posting the results on our web site. I had a few misgivings but posted several on Direct sales or multi-level marketing. The pros were that I’ve met a Christians with integrity that were involved and decided direct sales is a good way for some to become entrepreneurial. Sometimes it’s the only way because many don’t have the capital to start a business, invest, or buy real estate. The down side was that I hadn’t healed up from the people that suckered me into an Amway sales pitch under false pretenses 20 years back. Most of us distrust MLM.
Kings in the Marketplace
– Sandi Krakowski (see her interview) contacted me about her personal trainer’s offer to match Katrina funds for offerings given to Samaritan’s purse (Franklin Graham’s organization). I’m a little hesitant to market unknown entities – especially from the MLM world. So I looked at the web site and ordered a few tapes. What I found was a King operating a brand new model of discipleship. Dani Johnson is a happily married mother of 5 that runs 4 businesses and prospered to a multi-millionaire level in her mid-thirties. Her primary calling is training MLM’s to grow their down line. Her training talent came naturally from ministering to and equipping her own down line. She’s spirit-filled, prophetic, and Biblically sound in her approach. Want to know how she does it? She simply teaches Biblical principles for use in business. She quotes the Bible and challenges the socks off people to do things God’s way. She has an anointing to preach and teach outside the church… Why? She’s: 1) too busy, 2) having too much fun, and 3) reaching people churches don’t reach. People get saved in her meetings and Christians get matured. She’s a great example of a marketplace minister. The info on her matching funds offer is at http://www.danijohnson.com/katrina. Yes she does attend church on Sunday and worship is a highlight for her.
Ministry in the Marketplace
– I know many more Kings that are still finding their role. It’s surprising how many are very well established in their faith and anointed to preach, teach, pray, and prophesy. Most even carry a little resentment over why their gifts aren’t utilized in the Church. The reason is simple. All those gifts and anointings that we thought were reserved for church are really for the marketplace. We’re in the process of seeing both prosperity and ministry released on the marketplace. Kings are already functioning in a big way around the world. They share an exciting gospel that is more Biblical than our traditional approach. It includes your heart’s desire.
– Biblical Christianity is built around discipleship. We’re actually kind of weak on that front in the US. Our concept of “Church” is a meeting on Sunday and a home group on Wednesday where we get a sermon, a lesson, and a snack. The advantage of a large church is that you get a latte too. The result; we produce friendly students instead of disciples. In Africa, Christians refer to their spiritual growth by pointing you to their spiritual father or mentor. They have a much better handle on personal discipleship than we do. Leaders in the home church movement quote statistics on the decline in church attendance in the US to show the cell church movement is filling a void. Although the small group movement does help facilitate discipleship, I’m not convinced it will, or should, replace existing churches or the church/home group combination. I am convinced we’re just beginning to touch what discipleship really means and it will change our practice in both church and home church.
Discipling Whole People
– Here’s what I saw in Dani’s ministry that my heart has been longing for. We separate the spiritual from the natural. We equip people in Biblical disciplines but we don’t connect them with their vocation or equip them to see how God unites gifts, callings, destiny, vocation, and heart’s desire into one package that is both naturally prosperous and spiritually fruitful. Would you sign up for a personal mentor that would show you what to change to possess the abundance of your own inheritance in both the spiritual, financial and vocational sense? I would – In a heartbeat. Dani’s message is simply; “Here’s what it takes to make your business prosper, and oh by the way, here’s the laundry list of things God wants to add to your personal life so you’ll really gain your inheritance.”
Impact on Missions
– I think of Africa when I hear “missions.” God has done great things in Africa. When you look at the percent of the population that are Christian most African nations are now ahead of the US, Canada, and Europe. In fact many prominent European churches are pastored by African missionaries. For the last 10 decades Africa fit the traditional model of American missions. We find a missionary, raise support and send him over there. It’s a success story that will continue to work but God is adding new tactics.
The China Syndrome
– I want to suggest that China is the hottest missions spot on the earth right now by any measure you can apply. It is absolutely unique from the standpoint of the revolution in the Chinese marketplace. Gas is $3 a gallon because they started driving cars. Their cell phone coverage and internet availability exceeds the US. Although missions has been officially illegal in China, its nearly an irrelevant point because of what’s happening in the marketplace. God is using Dani’s model for marketplace ministry and discipleship. Budda doesn’t stand a chance; his head has fallen off. Entrepreneurs (Kings) are the new missionaries even in our own society. They are having fun doing it too.
Avenues to help with Katrina recovery
International Disaster Emergency Service (IDES) http://www.ides.org 765-947-5100
The Salvation Army http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/USNSAHome.htm 1-800-Sal-Army
American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org 1-800-Help Now
Operation Blessing International http://www.operationblessing.org 1-800-730-2537
America’s Second Harvest http://www.secondharvest.org 1-800-771-2303
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html