How You Can Find Your Hearts Desire
February 12, 2006
How to Find Your Heart’s Desire
In the last several weeks we’ve interviewed Reagan Couch and Lucas Vos. I’m not only hearing their message but seeing it in their lives. This week I want to introduce you to Duane Smith. He’s a real estate agent who’s interview has been posted for some time. We occasionally get emails from 3rd world countries asking for financial help or for resources to support their ministry. Duane got one from Kakinanda, India. Instead of writing it off as a potential fraud, he emailed back, got acquainted, asked for references, and then began supplying Bibles and blankets for Pastor Anil’s Church. After a few months they decided a trip to India would be appropriate and they’ve planned a pastors conference for 170 pastors, and an evangelistic crusade for 6000. Duane’s home church (Desert Rock) pastored by Steve Watson got involved with the vision. Steve is going on the trip to conduct the pastor’s conference and Duane is leading the crusade services. You can see the details in their brochure. Here’s the story of how it all came about.
– is not someone you would put the “extroverted entrepreneur” label on. He’s thoughtful, quiet, and studied in his approach to life and ministry. He turned 50 recently and was rethinking what he wanted to do with his life and career in real estate. At the same time the Lord was asking him, “What’s the desire of your heart; What do you want to do.” Duane really didn’t have an answer. Most mature Christians have learned not to answer a question from God like that casually. It’s like having 3 wishes… he applied his thoughtful, studied approach to his answer. The process took about 6 months and some fasting. He wanted to find the place in his heart’s desire that truly reflected the desire of God’s heart as well.
– The Lord spoke to Duane in the verses below. The Lord invited Duane to set his heart on ministering to the poor. Duane had some leanings toward missions already in his heart. But now he understood this desire to minister to the poor was clearly in God’s heart. That was the key that allowed to risk funding Bibles and blankets for a pastor on the other side of the world that he had only met through email.
6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: you loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter — when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Isa 58:6-7
Here’s the consequence of Duane aligning His heart’s desire with God’s desire. Duane is 50… wondering if his life as a real estate agent really matters to God – or anyone else for that matter. Now he has a clear sense of making a difference in the Kingdom. He’ll still be investing in and selling real estate, but he’s connected to something in the heart of God that is a well spring of life.
…and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. 11 The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isa 58:10-11
Discern your heart’s desires carefully
– This classic “miss” regarding heart’s desires is when we start to explore those desires and find a yearning for something really “off the wall”… like another person’s spouse. Some have invited destruction into their lives because they didn’t hold those desires up to God’s word – both written and quickened. Duane’s caution in answering God’s question (What’s the desire of your heart?) was wisdom.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Heb 4:12-13
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord….17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Eph 5:8-17
You can “Set Your Heart”
– God has already placed within your heart certain abilities and desires that reflect His own heart. However, you can fine tune your heart’s desires by understanding your ability to set your affections on things that are also in the heart of God.
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. Col 3:1-2 NIV
And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:29-31 NIV
10 Do not trust in extortion or take pride in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them. Ps 62:10 NIV
Make in Practical
– What Duane has done isn’t such a big leap when you understand his background. Although he’s worked all his life, primarily in real estate, he has gone on mission trips before. He and his wife even went along for the ride on a previous trip to India for ministry. I went with Harold to the Netherlands the first time and went alone on the second trip. From a practical standpoint of confidence the first trip made the second one possible. Take your first trip and let someone else worry about the details. Andy Briesmeister can help you get connected for ministry trips to Africa and the Philippines through WorldCast Ministries. Duane can help you network with similar opportunities in India.
Back to Duane
– Do you think Duane will be successful in turning an email into new salvations and healings in a crusade expecting 6000 and blessing 170 local pastors? I do. In fact, I believe he’s walking through a door in the spirit that is wide open to many other Kings. He already has similar emails from the Philippines and I have several from Africa. It’s a new day… What’s in your Heart?
Life is an adventure. People are a blessing. God is amazing. We’re winning.
John & Harold
– Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate theological basis for Marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
4 No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. 5 As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. Isa 62:4-5
– The Last trip to the Netherlands was a real eye-opener! I greatly underestimated the value of our book, the impact of the message on individual lives, and the value of live conferences. I witnessed the power of God being unleashed in the hearts of men and women by simply explaining the theology and experience behind releasing their heart’s desire to expand the Kingdom. Seeing the lights come up in the hearts of God’s people feels like sponsoring a jailbreak. One of my goals is to equip others to help us share the message in conference formats before we get overwhelmed with the momentum of what God is about to do. If your church or organization is ready, we can help you start a fire… a big one!
Send us your feedback!
We get blessed by your emails at “You Wrote Back“
Newsletters associated with chapter 12 relate to this week’s theme
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html
You can get your copy of Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace at