Friends Break Fear
March 12, 2006
Friends Break Fear
One of the realities of being entrepreneurial, pursuing the desires of your heart, and expanding the Kingdom is fear. It takes courage to step out and do something new. I have the opportunity to meet many people that are Kingly and courageous. These are not wild-eyed thrill seekers. They are calculating, cautious and persistence in the pursuit of their dream and the will of God. The majority of those that have been blessed financially; they are thankful, ministry oriented and excited. It’s fun to watch them.
A smaller fraction that are in the midst of struggling through problems. I’m personally drawn to encourage them to be wise, persistent and prophetic about the pursuit of their dream. Three in particular have been a focus of prayer from their friends and have seen new doors open and have gone from discouragement to anticipation. I want to share a key ingredient – the intercession and encouragement of friends. Here’s a couple of stories.
– A TV miniseries (Band of Brothers) was created around World War 2 paratroopers that follows their lives from training through D-day and the end of the war. I found it fascinating and was especially impressed with a personal interview they did with Dick Winters, who was one of the main characters in this true-life story. You could instantly tell he was a leader that would be easy to follow. He recently authored a book entitled “Beyond Band of Brothers” that is equally good. What the movie failed to point out was that Dick is a Christian that was in church nearly every Sunday during the six months his unit spent England before D-day. That fact put a missing puzzle piece together for me. The anointing on his life was noticeable in the interview and it translated to the dedication he had for his men.
Regarding the camaraderie of combat soldiers, this quote was profound:
“Soldiers risk their lives for the small unit, the squad, or the platoon. The infantry soldier is aware of the regiment, the division, and the democracy he belongs to, but his fighting spirit and good morale are caused and nurtured by his buddies, the guys in the foxholes alongside him. That is the reason men persevere in battle. Combat fatigue, the desire to flee, is stopped by small-unit morale.” pg 272
Small Unit Morale
– The reason people don’t succumb to fear is the same now as it was then. We all need the encouragement of friends that share our vision to reach a dream. It’s not something we releasincally get by going to church; Nor am I beating the drum for small groups or house churches. However, there is definitely a place among Kings for a fraternity of peers that care. Sometimes it’s intercession, fathering / mentoring; sometimes it’s a prophetic word or wise counsel; sometimes it’s listening to help shape the dream and explore the possibilities; sometimes it’s networking to open some doors.
– Intercession is easy. There is such an emphasis in the Spirit to release Kings that the revelation of God’s willingness to bless and open doors is very apparent. Only our theological roots can hinder us. See last week’s newsletter on “Overcoming.” It really feels good when someone else understands your personal vision and is willing to pray with you to obtain it.
Carry each other’s burdens , and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Gal 6:2 NIV
– You don’t have to wait for problems to probe the heart’s desire of a friend. There is something about helping a person articulate his dream that grants him permission in the Spirit to pursue it.
3. Prophetic Words
– Once you understand the vision God has placed in the heart of brother and pray for them it’s normal to get insights from the Holy spirit… prophetic, counsel, or encouragement that can make difference to a brother or sister. It builds their stamina and courage to stay in the battle. God uses you to say “He cares.”
…let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ… Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 1 Thess 5:7-11
– For some reason I find Christians a little more prone to compete with one another than to help one another in the business world. The mafia, mormons, and masons all favor their own for purely carnal reasons. The reason we favor one another is because we love one another and we share the common goal of expanding God’s Kingdom. Jesus had favor with both God and men – so should we. Prefer one another, especially in business. We’re all about cups running over and making others successful – blessed and prosperous in every way.
And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. Luke 2:52
Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rom 12:10-11 KJV
Scott & Donna
– One of the couples in the church I pastored had a vision for a restaurant. Their dream was Texas style barbeque. We’ve been through those 4 steps listed above about a dozen times over the last several years. Scott finally welded up a barbeque that will feed about 500 people and they catered their first event over the last 5 days – a cutting horse show and sale. It was well attended, the food was excellent, they made a prophet (they made money too), and a dream came true. The sponsor of this event invited them to do 5 more this summer and others that attended the show asked if they would come to their city for other events… it’s a breakthrough that was incubating in their hearts for years. You can feel it in the Spirit. When a King is released all heaven rejoices. www.cow-pig-n-chicken.com
Be an encourager
– God is encouraging Kings right now. Find one that needs a lift and speak life into his heart. Implement the four steps above and you’ll see God do something exciting.
And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword Lev 26:8 KJV
Life is an adventure. People are a blessing. God is amazing. We’re winning.
John & Harold
– Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate a theological basis for Marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
4 No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. 5 As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. Isa 62:4-5
– The Last trip to the Netherlands was a real eye-opener! I greatly underestimated the value of our book, the impact of the message on individual lives, and the value of live conferences. I witnessed the power of God being unleashed in the hearts of men and women by simply explaining the theology and experience behind releasing their heart’s desire to expand the Kingdom. Seeing the lights come up in the hearts of God’s people feels like sponsoring a jailbreak. One of my goals is to equip others to help us share the message in conference formats before we get overwhelmed with the momentum of what God is about to do. If your church or organization is ready, we can help you start a fire… a big one!
Send us your feedback!
We get blessed by your emails at “You Wrote Back“
Newsletters associated with chapter 12 relate to this week’s theme
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html
You can get your copy of Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace at