Kings – Converting Money into Ministry
February 19, 2006
Converting Money Into Ministry
In the last several weeks we’ve interviewed some Mighty Men that live the message in Releasing Kings and have great practical applications; Reagan Couch started a Full gospel Businessmen’s Chapter and Duane Smith is organizing a crusade and Pastor’s conference in India. This week I want to share what’s happening with Mike Nelson. He’s converting money into ministry… something Kings are good at.
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich. 2 Cor 8:9
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Cor 9:8
You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion… 2 Cor 9:11
Red Rock Energy
– Mike and Dan Griffin have a modest oil well business in Texas and a vision to support ministry. 2005 was a tough year even though oil prices were up because well drilling rigs were all occupied by the large companies. Red Rock is organized with one wing of the company called Red Rock Ministries. Ten percent of the gross is used to support a number of different ministries shown on their website. They also have a gas well call Jireh #1 that was drilled in 2002 in which 3 shares of the well were given to 3 of their partner ministries. That well has been up and down but declined in the last part of 2005 so they shot the well (opened it up to another level). The result – production went up 40 fold from 830 MCF to over 30,000 as we write this newsletter. It’s even producing 100 barrels of oil a week. It was a prophetic message… the 40 fold increase points to the end of their season in the wilderness and they believe 2006 is a year to create significant income streams for ministry.
A New Drilling Rig
– Although they have a dozen wells in production and a base of 120 investors (mostly Christians), Red Rock growth depends on drilling news wells. In 2005 investors were calling asking about new opportunities but no drilling rigs were available and the waiting list to have one built was a year long. So they began seeking the Lord and ran into a series of divine appointments; many of these contacts came through friends and business relationships where God brought them the answer through another person. Other people are seeing the hand of God behind their progress and jumping in on the divine appointments as though it were a revival.
They made a decision to build their own drilling rig through contacts the Lord had given them that had prior experience.
The were introduced to a young man (a welder) that was recently saved who is their shop foreman.
They needed a place to build a rig which could have entailed purchasing land and building a shop. The Lord led them to a local shop and the owner is letting them use it free in exchange for doing some of the work fabricating the rig.
Mike has also been introduced to contacts in the industry that have experience in drilling so he’s staffing the operating crew. Many involved are Christians and times of intercession have been a trademark of their miraculous progress.
The rig will be drilling in June and returning 40% for investors that will provide $4M in capital via a limited partnership. When the rig is complete in June it will have an appraised value of $6M so the investors will start with $2M in equity.
The stage is set build more rigs. Mike was given a prophetic word that they wouldn’t just have one rig but 3. So, in the late spring they expect to have the first rig fully funded and they will go right into construction of the second.
Can it happen for you?
– I don’t see Red Rock as an isolated event. Kings are making breakthroughs all over the world. Here are a couple of key ingredients.
Find the desire of your heart
(and God’s heart). Red Rock is making money and their prosperity is staged to multiply. But the foundation isn’t just built on making money; it resides on a call Mike and Dan carry for supporting missions. They are building the Kingdom and having fun doing it.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matt 6:33-34 NIV
When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked. 21 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain , ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” Matt 21:20-22 NIV
Don’t be afraid of Money
– Money is a tool that is entirely necessary to do the will of God. To have money and ministry, you have to be willing to multiply the talents God has given you. Many try to go straight to ministry without money and they end up in an offering cycle – asking others to fund their vision. For Kings, God is showing people how to multiply their finances and using their increase to expand ministry in the Kingdom. One of my personal desires is to help Christians network with opportunities like Red Rock. 40% returns are for everyone… so is ministry. Generosity is the goal but it doesn’t start until you’ve learned how to multiply your finances and have something to give.
Ask, and Keep on Asking
– I used to define spirituality in terms of “spiritual” things. No longer. I really believe that maturity in Kings is partially measured by our ability to multiply finances. It’s an anointing that God is unveiling right now. Please don’t feel disqualified by your present poverty. It’s a season to “ask” just like Mike did. God is answering! You too, can be trusted with “Much.”
“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own? Luke 16:10-12
– Most people retire with several hundred thousand dollars in their pension, IRA’s etc. Then, they live right at the poverty level on a monthly stipend which represents well under 10% return on their hard-earned capital. Investments like Red Rock represent a 10-fold increase over that “safely in poverty” mentality. Do the math.
Life is an adventure. People are a blessing. God is amazing. We’re winning.
John & Harold
– Our goal in Releasing Kings was to articulate a theological basis for Marketplace ministry such that people naturally mature toward being more entrepreneurial and more generous. Harold has continued that theme in a new book that I really enjoyed. This book is a brief explanation of Resurrection-based Christianity entitled Jesus Came Out of the Tomb, So Can You. It also appears on our Recommendations Page. There are four other books that tie closely to the chapters in Part 2 of Releasing Kings that are all worth while.
4 No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married. 5 As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. Isa 62:4-5
– The Last trip to the Netherlands was a real eye-opener! I greatly underestimated the value of our book, the impact of the message on individual lives, and the value of live conferences. I witnessed the power of God being unleashed in the hearts of men and women by simply explaining the theology and experience behind releasing their heart’s desire to expand the Kingdom. Seeing the lights come up in the hearts of God’s people feels like sponsoring a jailbreak. One of my goals is to equip others to help us share the message in conference formats before we get overwhelmed with the momentum of what God is about to do. If your church or organization is ready, we can help you start a fire… a big one!
Send us your feedback
We get blessed by your emails at “You Wrote Back“
Newsletters associated with chapter 12 relate to this week’s theme
Progress – Kingly Bio’s are Up
We’ve completed the first round of interviews with Kings. These are real people that have been blessed by God in the Market Place and have hearts for ministry. Check it out at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. If you have a success story, we’d like to post it by giving you a web page on our site.
Progress – A Teacher’s Guide
We’ve completed the first version of a study guide that targets those teaching the material in Releasing Kings. It includes a page of notes on each chapter, all the graphics suitable to make overheads, and a PDF file of the book with the key points highlighted that includes marginal notes, comments, and questions. This material is available for purchase on the teacher’s guide page of the web.
Harold and I have both been hesitant to “market” this book… sounds self-serving. Here’s the “grassroots” reality. God has given us a great tool to communicate a message that sets people free in an amazing, contagious, life-changing way. If you haven’t read it – get it. If you have read it – give it.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Ordernow.html
We’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on the newsletter too… get it, give it. Reloading Seniors was powerful. Pass the link on.http://www.releasing-kings.com/Newsletter.html
PS: don’t forget to look at the free reports – show your pastor the article on marketplace ministry from the pastor’s perspective. You can simply email him this link or print a copy to give him. http://releasing-kings.com/pastors-perspective.html
You can get your copy of Releasing Kings for Ministry in the Marketplace at