“Dear John, Greetings. I am a Zambian Pastor. I want to start a Marketplace Ministry. How do we do that?”
I want to answer that question for pastors and individuals that are drawn toward what God is doing through Kings right now. The answer comes in several parts. The first is how to impart the information; e.g. What can a pastor do for his congregation to awaken their hearts to ministry in the Marketplace. The second part is how to help them transition from a pew-only ministry to being a prosperous King with a vision and the means to expand the Kingdom. The third deals with encouraging them through the warfare to a place of victory. Don’t forget all of these principles apply to women as well. God is opening many doors in the marketplace for women.
1. Awakening hearts with the Message of releasing Kings
– I think the easiest way to get started is to go through the material in the book to provide a Biblical basis for being entrepreneurial, prosperous and generous. We try to provide an overview in our conferences.
*Sharing the material
– You can provide copies of Releasing Kings and teach your way through the chapters. One of the easiest ways is to make the book available. As a pastor, I preached most topics in our book on Sunday mornings.
– We do have a teaching guide that can be downloaded from the web as a PDF file. It contains the graphic we use in the book and in our conferences – see http://www.releasing-kings.com/Teachers-Guide.html
– In addition, there are 70+ newsletters with additional material indexed to chapters in the book at http://releasing-kings.com/Newsletter-Index.html. We expand a related topic every week.
– That same site also has notes from a conference we did in the Netherlands that might be helpful. We also do conferences on marketplace ministry. It’s a great way to launch interest in a group of people.
– We have a recommendations page that refers to five of Harold’s books that relate to part 2. I strongly believe that having the right theological foundation helps people naturally become “Kingly.” The person who teaches the material should read these books. It’s a really good foundation for Kings that would enable them to teach the conference notes (or their own). I think it’s wise to keep the number of session under 10-12 sessions. The other books are all around $12 and can be ordered from our recommendations page.
Book Chapter Sessions Related Reading
1-6 Kings/Priests 1-2 Releasing Kings (for all sessions)
7 the nature of God 1 Who is God (PDF from web)
8 Nature of Man 1 Precious in His Sight, Escaping Dualism
The future 1 Bring the Future into Focus
10-17 attributes 2-3 Releasing Kings
18-25 2 Releasing Kings
2. Encourage people to be Kingly
– The process must be both “taught” and “caught.” It has a theological foundation and a practical application. Often times people see themselves in the example of another businessman, elected official, or artist that models something God is asking them to do. We’ve used interviews with established Kings to provide some of that at http://www.releasing-kings.com/Interviewing-Kings.html. However, a personal relationship that includes mentoring from someone locally is ideal.
Marketplace Ministry is all about finding the connection between the person’s ministry and vocation. What are they wired to do? We can help people down that road in several ways; prophetically, through counseling, and by connecting them with an obvious mentor in the field of their choice. God will already have motivated them to move toward their calling. Kings are energized by finding themselves and catching a vision to do something for God in the marketplace.
The second is, “What’s their passion?” If money were available, how would they use it to expand the Kingdom? Being a King includes wealth (I will bless you) and notoriety (I will make your name great) and using that power and influence to “bless the nations.” As God’s favor increases, so does the burden to bring others up to the same level.
“I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Gen 12:2-3
3. After They’ve Started
– People that take the challenge to inherit the land of their personal destiny are not necessarily prepared for the steady stream of challenges and warfare that go with doing something for God. Setbacks are a normal part of any business/ministry. We have to focus 80% our faith and our results on the favor of God and the breakthroughs He brings. However, we’re not ignoring the 20% of the price in travail and problems to achieve those results.
Spiritual Cheering Section
– Marketplace Ministers need a network of prayer support and garden variety encouragement from their peers and pastors. They need a cheering section that embraces their vision.
Plans and goals
– Every Marketplace Ministry needs a business plan that maps out dreams and goals on a time table and budget that can be updated as time goes on. Too often people get a partial leading from God and move without practical wisdom of how to manage the staff, pay the bills, and identify the first priority.
Showcase the fruit
– When Kings have success celebrate with them. It’s a great opportunity to show others the power and provision of God. Testimonies encourage everyone. Marketplace ministry is very contagious. A few examples of Kings having fun and everyone will want to get out in the water.
Note: If you have a story of how you’re Releasing Kings through your church or group, send me an email. I’d love to hear about it and share it with others.